I have a confession. I really enjoy cleaning my house. Ok ok, if you know me and you’ve seen the state of my house you’re probably laughing right now. The main problem with writing a blog is that when it comes to ‘down’ time for my kids instead of cleaning the house as I would’ve done a year ago in this time – I now sit down and start working on SSM. Thus my house over the past year has been pretty much a tip. I must admit I don’t enjoy mopping or ironing, but give me a cloth and some cleaning liquid, some loud music and no child clinging to my legs and I’ll happily amuse myself wiping counters or cleaning the bath. Seriously! Money is always tight for us at present, but I’m always willing to spend money on eco-friendly products. I always make sure I purchase eco-concious cleaning products as I’d prefer to have as little chemicals as possible on my counters, floors and my baby’s bottoms. Green Works are one of my favourite brands to use. Here’s why I love them:
- Their products are made of biodegradable ingredients
- Their products are not tested on animals
- Their products are 95% natural and are made with mineral and plant based cleaning ingredients
But, how well do their products work? I managed to test some of their products and here are my thoughts.
- All–purpose cleaner - The first thing that #1 son said when I was busy spraying this while he coloured, was “Oooh Mommy, that smells nice” (so my usual white vinegar and water mix doesn’t smell nice?!) – it really does smell good and not too chemically (did I just make up a word?!) This cleaner really did work cleaning up the greasy, post-cooking surfaces in our kitchen as well as cleaning up dusty surfaces in the living areas. I love that it doesn’t contain bleach or phosphorus.
- Toilet bowl cleaner - One of my least favourite jobs, especially living in a household of men (ugh), is cleaning the toilet (not sure why it’s my job, oh well), but I LOVED this toilet cleaner. One concern I’ve had about ‘natural’ cleaning products is that they may not clean as effectively as chemically-ridden products, but this is definitely one product that does its job!
- Dilutable multi-purpose cleaner – This was probably my least favourite product. You had to use more of it than regular floor cleaning products and I still felt it didn’t clean as effectively as other products. But they can’t all be perfect!
- Glass and surface cleaner – Most of my mirrors and windows have tiny little sticky prints on them (similar to the ones on my laptop screen, hmm..) so I’ve practically got this product tucked into my jeans pocket all day as it is good to be able see out of my front window!
- Bathroom cleaner - Another winner in the smell department, this product was a gem when cleaning my forever dirty bathtub and did a great job of removing all the scum from our bathroom basin (another area tormented by my boys)
- Dishwashing liquids - I tried two different scents (original and tangerine) and while Tangerine is the colour of the year, I prefer the more subtle scent of the original. With all the skin problems I have during the winter problems, I love that this product is dermatologist-tested as I tend to immerse my hands in this product more than my L’Occitane shea butter!
- Cleaning wipes - While I personally think if you really want to go green, you should just use (and re-use) cloth wipes (i rip up old sheets, boxer shorts and t-shirts to make my clothes), Green Works’ cleaning wipes are kind of addictive. As we have never had them before, the boys and I made quick use of implementing them into our messy-cheerios-bitsofbanana-breadcrumbs-and-milkstains breakfast clean-up routine. I love that they’re 99% natural and that I was able to compost them.
In addition, during the “Green” months of April, Green Works is holding these current instore savings and promotions:
- A special 2 pack offer (All purpose cleaner and dish sop) for a great price!
- Exclusive All purpose Cleaner refill only at Wal-mart locations
- Over the April 14/15th weekend there will be in-store demos about Green Works products.
- Buy 2 Green Works products at Sobeys and receive 200 Sobeys Bonus points
- Green Works will be hosting at twitter contest at London Drugs where you can tweet your favourite Green Works product to #WinWithGreenWorks for a chance to win 1 of 5 $500 London Drugs Gift cards
Disclosure – I am participating in the Green Works program. I received compensation as a thank you for my participation. This is a personal blog. The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of The Clorox Company of Canada Ltd