i’m always looking for new and funky ways to dress my boys (and fun ideas to dress a girl).
I am very firm on my rules about dressing a kid:
1. No disney movie/tv shows/brand advertising allowed. Ok I have a couple of the iconic GAP hoodies as well as the odd vintage comic superhero t-shirt
2. No dinosaurs/trucks/cars on the boy and no fairies/hearts/princesses on the girls. Girls are girls and boys are boys, agreed. But I don’t walk around wearing high heels, nail polish and fashion magazines on my t-shirts, so why do my kids have to?
3. Boys can wear pink and girls can wear blue (and boys can wear nail polish too!) Don’t be afraid to let your kids experiment with gendered items, personally I think it’s going to make them more healthy in the long run. If my boys want to wear pink necklaces and red nail polish and your girls want to play with trains and cars, there is NOTHING wrong with it!
4. Let kids be kids. As much as I love the little adult look on kids, I think it can go a bit too far. Eg. girls in heels. Hmm not so much. Fine when dressing up, but let the girl be a child for heaven’s sake! Let them run around and get dirty – life is too short!
5. Listen to your kids. You and your child may have differing opinions over what to wear each day but if you’ve purchased/chosen all their clothes originally you’re going to like all the items, so what if they want to team it with a pair of patterned pants. So be it, live a little. Just make sure you hide the identical outfits that mother-in-law sent you because if you hate them, chances are, your kid will love them!
Nevertheless, kids clothes are amazingly fun to experiment for. I LOVE shopping for my boys and window shopping for girls. Enjoy it and have fun dressing your kids!